1. Keep Calm. As soon as you realize you're falling through the ice, hold your breath so you do not breathe in water. Try to stay calm. Panic is your worst enemy.
2. Stay Afloat. Keep your head out of the water. Get to an edge that you can reach. Snap off thin ice until you reach thicker ice.
3. Pull Yourself Out. Lean forward onto the ice and kick your feet as you would if you were swimming. Use your arms and elbows to pull yourself up.
4. Crawl Forward. Don't stand up right away. The ice around the hole may be weak.
5. Roll away. Roll away until you are several feet away and are certain you are out of danger.
These tips are from Indiana Department of Homeland Security. Avoid ice if you can. If you see someone stuck in the middle of a retention pond or creek, call 911.