Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer for your Brownsburg Parks! Volunteering offers an opportunity for physical and social activity and a sense of purpose. Plus, by helping Brownsburg Parks, you are enhancing the quality of life for all Brownsburg residents. Thank you for helping to strengthen our community!
Benefits of Volunteering with Brownsburg Parks
- You play a role in advancing your community by helping in areas of need.
- You help Brownsburg Parks to provide the community with a variety of programs and events throughout the year.
- You have direct access to Brownsburg Parks to provide input on the services that you would like to see offered or feedback on programs that are currently being offered.
- You help to create community pride in the park system.
Weed Wrangle® is part of a national effort to remove invasive plants from public spaces.
Interested volunteers must be comfortable using hand tools and chemicals such as herbicides. Volunteers ages 13 to 17 must be accompanied by an adult. All volunteers are encouraged to bring work gloves, but all other safety gear will be provided by Brownsburg Parks.
Volunteer Application Process
- Complete the Volunteer Interest Form, located below.
- We will contact you to discuss available opportunities and your interests. Some volunteer positions require the completion of a background check form (background checks require renewal on an annual basis). Final volunteer placement is dependent upon passing the background check.
- After selecting your volunteering project, you will be sent a shift sign-up form to select the time that best works for you.
- Every volunteer will be required to attend an orientation (either online or in-person) to go over the volunteer handbook and learn about their job functions.
Please allow up to two weeks for the selection process to be completed. Our team will work diligently to find you a volunteer opportunity that both meets your level of interest and fulfills our existing needs
Additional Volunteer Information
Is your organization looking for a way to give back to the community? We have a wide range of activities perfect for businesses, community organizations and school groups. If interested in scheduling a group project, email Amber Lane, Assistant Director.
Volunteer Safety Guidelines
As a volunteer, your safety is our priority. Please review and follow these safety guidelines:
- If asked to perform a task you believe is unsafe, it’s okay to say, “No.”
- Do not use equipment without first being trained on its proper use.
- When operating electric or gas-powered tools, use eye, and ear personal protection equipment.
- Carry tools safely!
- If working in a group, let your supervisor/leader know of any health or emergency needs you may have, such as allergic reactions to insect bites or plants.
- Avoid overexertion. Take a rest break when needed and drink plenty of water.
- Use sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat to protect against the sun.
- Wear clothing that is appropriate to the task, such as long sleeves and pants when pulling weeds to avoid thorns or poison ivy. Wear closed-toe shoes, not sandals or flip-flops.
- Be careful where you step, as some park properties may have slopes, slippery footing, or holes.
- Use proper posture when lifting heavy objects by bending at the knees, not at the waist.
- Do not overfill litter bags.
- Do not pick up hazardous items (animal carcasses, needles, condoms). Report the location of such objects to a Parks employee.
Thank you for your volunteer efforts to enhance our parks and trails!